Simple Chicken Curry with Saffron Rice
For the chicken curry
- 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
For the rice
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the thighs on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the diced onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Season with pepper and turmeric. Then add chopped tomatoes, and ¼ cup of water, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken thighs in the simmering sauce, then cover with the lid and cook for about 30-45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- In the meantime, cook the rice. Combine saffron threads and boiling water and allow to ‘brew’ for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium pot, combine saffron and the water with the rice and all other ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let it sit covered for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve 2 chicken thighs along with sauce and a serving of saffron rice.
Tip: The rice can also be prepared in a rice cooker. Prep the saffron as above and then follow rice cooker instructions.