Vegan Creme Brulee
This French dessert, creme brulee, is remade into a vegan delight with coconut milk.
- 1 vanilla pod
- 200 ml can full fat coconut milk
- 400 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp agar-agar
- Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise with a knife. Scrape the vanilla seeds out with the tip of the blade and set aside .
- In a pot, bring the coconut milk, almond milk, half of the brown sugar, agar-agar, the vanilla pod and the vanilla seeds to a boil while stirring often. Remove from the heat as soon as it boils and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the vanilla pod. Divide the mixture between 4 ramekins and leave to set in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the crème with the rest of the brown sugar and caramelize it with a burner torch.